Inspired by Senna, hailed as Hamilton, meet Enaam Ahmed
As the world is currently remembering the legendary Formula One driver Ayrton Senna, a budding British driver is breaking his records and following in his footsteps. His name is Enaam Ahmed.
Inspired by Ayrton Senna
Senna will be forever known for his formidable driving achievements and extraordinary state of mind on the track. He is widely recognised as the greatest driver of all time. He marked the ‘greatest lap in F1 history’ at Donington on 11 April 1993 but sadly lost his life prematurely a year later in a fatal accident during the San Marino Grand Prix on 1st May 1994.
‘His aggression and fearless attitude is something that inspires my driving style. It has given me the attitude I have today towards competition,’ says Enaam Ahmed about Senna who is, without question, his prime inspiration.
Donington is the heart of British Motorsport. To break Senna’s record here, the scene of that unforgettable lap of his in 1993, felt incredible, like I would forever share a piece of history with a phenomenal driver.’
Indeed, the promise of Enaam Ahmed’s driving career became even more evident on 24 September 2017, during the final race of the BRDC British Formula 3 Championship at Donington Park, when the young driver created another piece of F3 history.
- He beat Ayrton Senna’s record of 12 wins in 1983
- He secured a record 13 wins and 18 podium appearances from 24 races
- He ended with 654 points, the highest score ever achieved in the series
- His final score was 164 points clear of his nearest rival, confirming the biggest ever winning margin over second place
- He was the youngest ever champion of the BRDC British Formula 3 Championship at 17 years old; Senna was 23
Hailed as the next Lewis Hamilton
Back in 2014, Enaam Ahmed was already getting noticed. At just 14 years old, he was tipped to become the next Lewis Hamilton by Skysports. Now, with even Ayrton Senna’s records beaten, we suspect that comparisons with past and present legends will subside, as Ahmed continues to carve out his own impressive driving career and make a name for himself.
Meet Enaam Ahmed
Formula One drivers the likes of Lewis Hamilton, Jenson Button and David Coulthard have emerged from the karting world and Enaam Ahmed is certainly headed in the F1 direction. In his first year of competition, he won five major titles. That’s when he was dubbed ‘the next Lewis Hamilton,’ as those around him envisioned him gatecrashing F1 in a similar way.
With his skill and talent reminiscent of Senna, Ahmed might just do that. He has been displaying the signs of a winner from day one and it does not look like stopping any time soon.
- Five major karting titles at just 14 years old
- Won the CIK European Championships
- Won the CIK World Championships
- Won the WSK Super Masters
- Won the Champions Cup
- Won the Winter Cup
- One win for Arden in his MSA Formula debut
- Five wins and two poles in the SMP F4
- Won the Rookie Cup
- Finished fifth overall for Douglas Motorsport in his BRDC British Formula Three Championship debut
- Became BRDC British Formula Three Champion on his second season for Carlin and even made history.
In the opening round of the season, he took 3/3 wins, recorded three fastest laps across the three races, and took the championship lead with a perfect score of 95 points
- Went on to make it four wins from four races. At six wins, he surpassed the total wins by a single driver throughout the entire 2016 campaign
- Sealed his first pole-to-flag victory with his 10th win of the season at Brands Hatch
- Matched triple F1 world champion Ayrton Senna's 12 wins during his own F3 title-winning campaign in 1983
- Secured his title as the 2017 series' youngest-ever champion before all the races were completed, and at just 17 years old
- Beat Ayrton Senna’s record with his 13th win at the 24th and final race at Donington Park, the venue of Senna’s ‘greatest lap in F1 history’
- Secured a record 13 wins and 18 podium appearances in 24 races
- Achieved the highest score ever in the BRDC British Formula Three Championship series with 654 points
- Confirmed the biggest winning margin over second place with 164 points clear of his nearest rival
Following winning the British F3 Championship in 2017, Ahmed began the climb up the single-seater ladder and, in 2018, he debuted in FIA F3 with Hitech GP.
Quite an achievement for the young driver in just four years.
Brand Champion of AutoXotica
When AutoXotica Managing Director Kevin Burns watched Ahmed’s performance at Donington Park that day from the HQ’s trackside viewing platform, he was impressed. And when he discovered how Donington and a legendary Brazilian lies at the heart of the young lad’s inspiration, he knew that standing before him was the brand champion of AutoXotica. Luckily, Ahmed was just as enthusiastic.
‘The AutoXotica team is great, very efficient and clean cut and it’s a real pleasure working with the guys.’
The future of Enaam Ahmed
We need no second guesses regarding where Ahmed’s career is heading. As for other things, now that Ahmed has turned 18 and officially gained a driver’s licence, it may just be a matter of time before you might spot him in a Lamborghini Huracán Spyder, his favourite supercar. Or he may just drive something humble and unassuming, just like his character. If you met Enaam Ahmed, you wouldn’t guess he’s a world champion and he wouldn’t tell you. Even at 14, he kept his karting a secret from his friends. Where does he see himself in five years? ‘Either in Formula 1 or a taxi driver.’ We are of the strong opinion that it will be the former.